What is double glazing & why do I need it?
- Around 60% of heat loss in the home occurs through standard, single pane windows. Thermally broken double glazed windows substantially stop heat loss and pay for themselves very quickly in the money you save from heating/cooling bills.
- Double glazing is the glazing process in which a window is formed by two panes of glass with a space between the panes. The space between the glass is usually several millimeters thick. Air is trapped between the panes of glass and forms a layer of insulation. Before the unit is sealed, a drying agent is added to ensure that no moisture is present inside the finished glass unit.
- Double glazing is an environmentally friendly material, which when used to replace single pane windows helps to reduce these carbon emissions and combat energy loss. As well as saving on heating/cooling bills, double glazing is very good at cutting down on noise pollution and internal condensation.
Does uPVC discolour?
- As long as the profiles used to fabricate a uPVC window are UV stabilized the original white color will not fade. Rehau uPVC windows were installed in South Africa more than 20 years ago and they are still in perfect condition, no discolouration, no brittle finish. No other profile supplier in the world can claim that.
What is Teva’s policy on PVC waste?
- We work together with our German supplier Rehau who employ a very strict re-grinding process.
All waste PVC is collected from our fabricators and re-ground. The regrind is used to fabricate a number of other PVC products.
How strong are PVC windows?
- Rehau’s window frames have internal galvanised steel reinforcement. Furthermore, Rehau uPVC windows all have fusion welded corners so no mechanical fixing is used. This makes the chance of breakage very low in comparison to those windows using mechanical corner style fixings.
Are uPVC windows expensive?
- uPVC windows are initially more expensive than other window systems on the market but taking into account the energy savings you will enjoy by using a uPVC window system, this small, extra expense is very quickly recouped. That being said – Teva has the most cost effective double glazed windows available in the South African market.
Why should I use uPVC windows and doors rather than aluminium or timber?
- The main advantage of uPVC windows and doors is their energy efficiency. Click here for more benefits.
What are the advantages of a uPVC windows & doors?
- Our Rehau uPVC will not rot or corrode, making it ideal for all areas. It is virtually maintenance free, requires no painting or treatment. Most important are the thermal properties related to uPVC windows. Rehau profiles have a U-Value of around 1.4, compared to a U-Value of more than 10 on an aluminium frame, therefore these windows are more energy efficient than any other kind of window on the South African market.
I live on a busy main road, can your windows reduce the traffic noise?
- Our Rehau window system is designed for a double glazed unit, and with certain glass configurations we can achieve Sound Transmission Class (STC) ratings of 44. We have installed our system into many buildings both domestic and commercial in order to alleviate noise problems such as road and aircraft noise.
The South African climate can be very harsh. How will this affect uPVC?
- Rehau’s uPVC profiles have been extensively tested in South Africa for over 20 years. Our product is resistant to ultra violet rays and is specially formulated to suit the South African climate. Our uPVC profiles will not become brittle, discolour or flake over a period of time.
What colours are available?
- Although Rehau profiles are standard white in color – different colors can be achieved by either foiling the profile or even painting the profile to achieve the desired effect.
Are doors also part of Teva’s product range?
- Yes, we offer french, residential, in-line sliding and folding doors.
Are uPVC windows available in the same style as aluminium and timber?
- There are very few limitations when using uPVC window profiles. uPVC windows are available in standard and customer specific sizes. We also have our own innovative designs, which are constantly being updated. The usual styles, casement, side hung, tilt and turn, fixed and sliders are all available using uPVC window profiles.
What type of glazing do you offer with your systems?
- We can accommodate a glazing panel up to 32mm, so virtually any combination of single or double glazing can be used without any design change. In South Africa the commonly used double glazing thickness is between 20 and 28mm.
Can I replace my existing windows with your uPVC systems?
- uPVC windows and doors are ideal for refurbishments or for new-build projects.
Can the glass of a double glazed window break? How do I replace a broken pane on a double glazed window?
- The glass pane can break. When this happens the whole glazing unit has to be replaced. Any glazing company can assist you with this.
Are all PVC window and door brands the same?
- No, they are not. The uPVC profiles distributed by Rehau Polymer (Pty) Ltd in South Africa are produced using a UV stable polymer. They can be installed anywhere in South Africa.
Are all uPVC window and door manufacturers represented locally?
- Not all uPVC window and door manufacturers have offices in South Africa. Rehau established its presence in South Africa in 1967. The company has grown to four sales offices located in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and East London. The two Rehau plants are located in Port Elizabeth and East London. Rehau is here to stay!
What back-up is there if anything should happen to my windows?
- Teva’s Rehau window profiles carry a 10 year guarantee against product failure and are fully supported through a network of authorized partners. However, grey imports are not supported by Rehau in this market as they are not UV stable and thus not suitable for the South African climate.
The Make-Up of a uPVC Frame with Double Glazing
- 6.38mm PVD laminated glass – 2 separate panes of glass held apart by a spacer and completely sealed. Primary seal with metal spacer – primary seal with spacer bar and desiccant.